Tags

, ,

Today, I thought I would give you a little peek at my design process.  Sometimes I design with the computer, using EQ7.  However with the Cat-in-the-Hat Quilt, I am designing as I go along.  This is definitely the more time-consuming method.  The fabric dictated my design sensibility on this quilt because it is so busy.  I purchased a fat quarter pack of this Cat-in-the-Hat fabric because I thought it would make a cute kid’s quilt.  Once I started working with it I clearly didn’t know what to do with it.

I had recently finished my Winter Palace quilt and thought I would remake it using these fabrics with black and white chevrons.  Once I got started it seemed like a whole quilt with this fabric might be a little hard to look at.  So then I decided to only use the chevron blocks for the border and I would use a whole cloth center.  When I laid that out, it looked a little plain.  I did a mock-up with my grandson’s name, but that also seemed plain.  I let that idea smolder for a while and went back to figuring out the corners.  I had tried 3 different corners before I decided on a more scrappy look and I think I am happy with the corners now.

Next I did a mock-up of some alternating black and white blocks for the lettering. I kind of like the way this looks, so I am going to go ahead with this idea.  I got inspiration on this design element from the book “Fat Quarter Fonts” by Atkinson Designs.

After figuring out how much room the lettering would take, I decided I needed to add a few more blocks on each side of the border, so back to making the chevron blocks.

 

 

Next step is figuring out how to digitize the die cut alphabet shapes so I can use my embroidery module to stitch these down.  I have done this before, but it was a long time ago (see picture of Gavin’s Quilt) and I need a refresher.

I would love to have this top done by Sunday night, but there is still a lot to be done.  Then, I have lots of ideas for the back.  Wish me luck.

Have a great weekend everyone! ~ Lora